Rangefinders are a great modern device for measuring the distance between an observer and his target. The machine offers several functions including precision aiming and surveying. The most commonly used rangefinders today are hunting rangefinders, archery rangefinders and golf laser rangefinders. Laser rangefinders designed for golfing and hunting purposes are typically more costly compared to single function devices.
When choosing a device with combined functions, check to see if the device has all the appropriate features and menu options. These capabilities all work in tandem to help the user make a more informed decision, with little guesswork. The devices in use today come with a handful of advanced features including distance reading, multiple magnification, inclinometer, waterproof resistance and different modes. Although the functional mechanics appear similar for the most part, some of the minor modifications can spell all the difference when it comes to function or device capability.
Choosing the best rangefinders for hunting
The usefulness of rangefinders on the outdoors has made it an important hunting companion. Some of the things you need to consider when selecting a good hunting device include; price and quality, angle compensation, simplicity, maximum range, and overall size.
- Price and quality – the best rangefinders in the market are also some of the most expensive. In essence, you get what you pay for because quality and price go hand-in-hand. When determining the price and quality of your device, it is important to go for the best rangefinder that you can afford. This will boost your confidence during hunting and eliminate regrets.
- Size – rangefinders come in different sizes and design. Since there are many gears that you need to put on or carry when going out on a hunting mission, it is much wiser to find a device that is easy to carry in your pocket or hands.
- Angle compensation – angling is very critical in hunting because the angle you pick can affect your projectile drop. For this reason, it is important to make amends when shooting down or uphill in anticipation of the small drop. Devices with angular compensation are designed to do the calculations on your behalf, giving you a more accurate shooting range.
- Simplicity – a simple rangefinder works immediately after it is switched on, thereafter allowing you to take the yardage. However, numerous features have been added to most of the new models, as such there is need to carry the instructions manual in order to learn how to use the device more effectively. Consequently, it is important to recognize that some of the extra details may not mean much to a seasoned user. For this reason, always go for a device that has clear readings and is easy to use.
- Maximum range – always check the range of the device you want to buy before making your purchase. Some devices have a range of 1,200 yards while others have a range of fewer than 1,000 yards. A good rangefinder should work well at distances of up to 1,000 yards. This is an important measure even if you do not need a high level of accuracy because you may need it for fun. The best way to calculate your maximum range is to test it using a reflective object under perfect weather.
Find more information about laser rangefinders at www.rangefinder101.com.
The points listed above will help you find the best and most ideal rangefinder for hunting. The other things you can add to your list include product warranty, weight, product brand, carrying case and the type of battery fitted on the device in order to get the full value of your investment.